Saturday, May 21, 2011

Are there difference between Male and Female brain?

by Satoko


Recently, I watched interesting show on the internet. This is the website.
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6890545n&tag=related;photovideo


This show is from CBS. This show said that there are brain size difference between male and female. There are 2 types of matter in the brain called gray matter and white matter.

The show said male have 6.5 times more gray matter than female do, and gray matter is part of the responsible for information processing. On the other hand, Female have as much as 10 times as much white matter than male do, and white matter is the part of the responsible for connecting information processing centers. So male might be better in math, and female might be better multi-taskers : people who can perform multiple tasks at one time.

Can you imagine that men have 6.5 times more gray matter and women have 10 times as much white matter? No way!!! I've never heard those incredibly big difference between male and female. Basically, human have a same brain. I've heard about some research found some small size difference between male and female brains; however, there are no big difference male and female brains. So if there are some original papers,  I guess the original paper said that male have 6.5% more gray matter than female do, and female have 10% more white matter than male do. Of course, there many brain size difference between animals. For example, whales have bigger brain than human. Of course, whales have bigger brain than human because whales are bigger than human. But brain size doesn't matter! This is because, even though whales have bigger brain than human, humans are more smart than whales. So the most important thing is connection of neurons. In short, I think there might be small size differences between male and female; however, brain size doesn't matter. So I think there no difference between male and female brains! If you have time, please check the website that I posted. It's few minutes show.

2 comments:

  1. It is very interesting! I saw show which you posted. I think male and female are totally different because of many reasons, and your posting is also one of the reasons. Each gender is good at different part like a multi-tasks. For my friends, boy friends couldn't do two tasks at the same time. In addition, I didn't know that whales have bigger brain than human!!! I thought human have bigger brain because we are more smart than animals.
    - by Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 6.5 or 10 times is really out of my mind. As you said, maybe 6.5% or 10% is more likely to be acceptable.
    When I went to university, I planed to find a chance to read some books about psychology, but I always can't. Now I have already spent more than a half of my life in my university, and I have no time... Maybe I have to take a GRE test in a few months which I didn't know until one week ago... So I have to put off this reading plan. Anyway, I will try to do it. By Yilin

    ReplyDelete